Sunday, August 24, 2008

Introducing...shecological!

Shop Name: shecological

A little about you: My name is Sheila Clancy. I started Shecological about 2 years ago after trying to find a bag for myself that would be functional and chic enough to carry when I traveled around Europe. I have been sewing my whole life and I have never been able to follow instructions. I like to design, create, break the rules and see where the materials lead me. I studied printmaking, natural dying and various other fiber arts. I love to travel and have lived in London and Australia.
A little about your products: I make bags of various shapes and sizes. The emphasis is on fun style, functional construction (lots of pockets) and earth friendly materials and practices. I get inspiration from the Arts and Crafts Movement, Japanese culture, high fashion and the natural fibers that I work with.

What about the organic mission inspires you?: I have always been and environmentalist and into organic food and natural dyes and home products so it was perfect to do organic bags. I love the feel and smell of the raw cotton and other natural fabrics. I really want to see ALL fabric grown, produced and used with organic processes in my lifetime.
What's your current project: I am mixing organic cotton and cotton/hemp fabrics with my stash of printed fabrics to make limited edition and ooak bags. I am always working on new screen prints. I have a load of organic t-shirts that I haven't gotten to. I also plan to dye some of my raw fabrics with natural dyes. (And I am going to start learning Japanese this fall!)

Where your products can be found: Right now, I only sell locally and on etsy.

Blog, Etc.: I want to start a blog with all my work and travel stories but I am still learning internet savvy. I am up on flickr!

2 comments:

GREEN SPRINGS BODYWORKS said...

Your bags are beautiful, I love that you use organic and recycled materials. My husband and I went to Europe for the first time two years ago to celebrate or 30th anniversary. We spent our anniversary in Venice. I am pinching our pennies to hopefully return for our 40th!!

GreenWorks said...

Have my eye on a couple of those bags!

Think we need an Etsy wishlist - like amazon has - so we can hope our friends go see what we'd like for birthdays/Christmas etc ;)